What is the intake and assessment process at Express Yourself Speech?
If you believe that your child requires speech and language services:
- Please fill in the form on the Contact page.
- Once your request has been received, you will be contact by our speech-language pathologist by email or phone.
- During this conversation, you will be requested to provide more information about your child and some of the challenges that are causing you concern.
- You will then be invited to book an assessment session with our speech-language pathologist.
- At the assessment, your speech-language pathologist will conduct both formal and/or informal assessment measures to gain a better understanding of your child’s strengths and areas of need.
- At the end of the assessment, your speech-language pathologist will review the findings of the assessment and discuss a treatment plan and goals for your child.
Where are you located?
Our office is located in midtown Toronto. We also offer virtual sessions.
How do I know when should I see a speech-language pathologist?
While there is variability for what is age appropriate please see the following link for speech and language milestones at each age: Speech/language milestones
What does a speech assessment/therapy session look like?
A speech assessment will look different depending on your child’s age and needs. An assessment for a younger child will be based on parent report, observations and an informal play based assessment. Your speech therapist will look at play skills, social communication skills, expressive and receptive language. An assessment with an older child might also be play based but will likely involve the use of standardized testing.
Therapy sessions aim to target different speech and language goals through fun and motivating activities. Some sessions are more play based and others might be more structured depending on child’s age and attention span. Sessions and goals will always be reviewed with caregivers and at home practice will be provided at the end of every session.
How often do I need to bring my child in?
We suggest an hour session once a week to receive the most benefits out of your child’s speech and language therapy. However, some sessions will be shorter and/or bi-weekly. This can be determined at assessment and can always be changed throughout the course of treatment.
How much does a session cost?
Session prices will vary based on time. Sessions start at $165 for a 1 hour session.
Will I be charged for cancellations/no shows?
We require 24 hours notice for any cancellations unless your child is ill with a fever or flu (a cold is fine!); otherwise, you will be charged for your session.
What payment methods are accepted?
E-transfer, Visa, Mastercard, debit, cash or cheque
Do you offer evening and weekend appointments?
Are speech and language services covered by OHIP?
No. Speech and language services are not covered by OHIP. However, many insurance companies offer benefits for some speech and language services. Please contact your insurance provider for more information.
How long is each session?
Assessment sessions will most often be an hour long. Treatment sessions are offered at 1 hour, 45 minutes or 30 minutes.